Sunday 30 June 2013

Noise source?

I have mentioned before about my occasional operating from the YL's QTH  and the high noise level there. In some ways I felt the noise was worse because I was using a vertical antenna (The pro whip) although the noise level was a great deal lower when using the same antenna at my own home.
So what is the cause?  As we all know there could be many causes-Plasma TV's, internet over the mains and so on. But in the middle of the housing estate and very close to the house is this:



It must be 25 Metres or more high and is covered in all sorts of antennas from what looks like VHF beams and verticals to Microwave dishes. I have no idea what frequencies are being radiated from this mast but I think that at least part of the noise problem may be coming from it. I am just glad its not at the end of my garden, on the other hand I would like to be able to run a wire dipole from the top of it!


2 comments:

  1. The tower could be the cause of all noise trouble. Living in a city area here is also a great problem. Plasma TV's routers and so on. Always s8-9 here on 20m I wish I was on a desert island. ;-) 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul

    It has made me realise that I am lucky here at home, I have a low noise level here even though I am in quite a built up area on the edge of the town.

    73 Kevin

    ReplyDelete