Friday 31 December 2010

End of year

This is the QSL card and sticker I received from Radio Prague just before Christmas.As a young SWL I used to send reception reports to many broadcast stations (back in the 80's there were quite a few more of them) but its something I have not done for years. When I heard that Radio Prague is to leave the airwaves at the end of January 2011 I thought I would send a report for one of their last QSLs. I am also awaiting a card from Radio Slovakia, another broadcaster about to leave shortwave.
So for 2011 I will be trying to collect QSLs from some of the remaining broadcasters-who knows it may be the last year of major international broadcasting?
One of my radio ambitions for 2010 was to get back into using CW. Sadly, although I have been doing some practice and am able to receive reasonably well I have yet to pluck up the courage to get on the air with the key! So this will become my goal for 2011. I used to love CW and bitterly regret not keeping up my skills with it when I was younger. Now in my forties getting back into the mode seems much more of a struggle.
Anyway a happy and healthy 2011 to you all and I hope to hear and work some of you on the bands in 2011. Who knows it may even be on CW!

2 comments:

  1. Reduce your power to 5 watts, then tune your transceiver to the QRP calling frequencies. We tend to send slower though capable of high speed cw. The nature of QRP dictates a slower more precise speed. You will find QRP operators delighted to chat with you. 73 Dick N2UGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dick - QRP ops tend to send a little slower. I had never used CW much on the air, but a year or so ago, decided to start using CW. The first few QSO's were nerve-racking but the excitement of making them propelled me on, and I'm very glad I did. More power to you. You can do it Kevin!

    Dave
    AA7EE

    ReplyDelete